[ale] Diagnostic help needed

Kirsa kirsa.thierry at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 17:36:53 EST 2012

I would not be surprised if you experienced a similar speed issue next
Friday though... On almost any residential cable node Friday 5-12pm is peak
time and has the most utilization of the entire week. So that you were down
to 4mbit/s on Friday evening and 2mbit/s by Friday night sounds
suspiciously like congestion to me, despite the faulty equipment.

I used to work for a big cable company as a Network Engineer and took the
calls from techs in the field who had (supposedly) exhausted their
troubleshooting steps. They are handed a stack of trouble calls every
morning to complete before the end of the day. Faced with the option of
either not getting home by dinner, or not doing a thorough job it is
not surprising that some of them lie to the customer or to their support
about what troubleshooting steps have been taken (simply to get out the
door faster). Not saying it is necessarily the case here, but it is not
uncommon for the problem to continue or to come back even after it has been
blamed on customer equipment and/or modems have been replaced and/or
improvements made. In other words, you might want to do some speed testing
next Friday and make sure your problem is fixed.

Regarding video/internet use, video and data services
use separate frequency ranges on the wire and do not share bandwidth
between them. So have no fear if people start watching more of HD video
because it will not affect your internet service, unless it is HD video
delivered through via the internet... One day we will probably start seeing
television sets or cable boxes which receive video streams via DOCSIS but
it's still a few years off.

-Kirsa