[ale] FreeBSD is Demonic

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 05:14:49 EST 2012

On 01/12/2012 11:47 PM, George Allen wrote:
> So, for no good reason (I got sucked into it after running zfs-native
> on Ubuntu for a while),
>
> I'm on day-3 of a FreeBSD install, and it's finally getting annoying.

George, I've not run FreeBSD but have used NetBSD as a server sandbox.
My gut feel for the success of Linux is not purely in technical merit
but that Linux has more brain share.

When I was playing with NetBSD on Sparc it was zippy fast and the OS
install was very small. NetBSD is also used as *the* example of clean
coding; they try and keep things as architecture portable as possible.

If I were doing a desktop, though, definitely Linux. Any of the BSD
versions seems to be a few years behind. Maybe the FreeBSD desktop
people got jobs at Apple?  :)

Leam