[ale] {OT} -- For the programmer on the list

Steve Brown scbrown3 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 15:36:02 EST 2012

As a Java developer by day (server side, not client side applications), I
would love to join in or counter your complaints, but they are too abstract
for me to understand what it is that you're complaining about. My main
problem with Java is its future in Oracle's hands. Another problem would be
the slow pace of language improvements. That problem is somewhat minimized
by groovy in the short term. In the long term, as always, I'm exploring
other languages. Are there languages that address the problems you have
with java, but that also fill the same niche of large-team development?
More precisely, languages that inhibit a team members ability to do
something "clever"/unexpected and allows them to focus on the business
requirements? I've always enjoyed python for that reason; "there should be
one, and preferably only one, obvious way to do it". However, I don't
really like python's lack of static typing for non-trivial,
multi-developer, projects. Not exactly an insurmountable problem, I know,
just a personal preference.
-Steve Brown