[ale] possibility of running an NTP server

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Jan 12 15:31:01 EST 2012

On 01/12/2012 07:17 AM, mike at trausch.us wrote:
> On 01/12/2012 01:23 AM, Ron Frazier wrote:
>
>> I think I'm going to try to find an actual NTP client for Windows, so
>> I can use the same external servers I've selected for Linux.
>>
> Windows XP and later have an NTP client built-in to the operating
> system.  You can change the server from the Time and Date properties.  I
> can't tell you click-by-click how to do that, but I know that it is
> indeed possible.
>
> Once you find it, you can then tell it what (single!) address you want
> to use.  The registry may enable you to give it more than one address.
> You can simply use the name of an NTP pool so that you can get time from
> different locations without having to have more than one entry.
>
> 	--- Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info.  I'm going to look into that to see if it's a
better or worse solution than the NIST time client I'm already running
(from NIST).  Anything that keeps the computer to +/- .5 sec drift
between syncs is fine with me.  It would be nice to use the same server
list that I do on Linux so I can have redundant servers if a fallback is
needed.

Sincerely,

Ron