[ale] possibility of running an NTP server

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Jan 12 01:23:23 EST 2012

Hi JD,

I only have 3 computers that are generally on my home network at a time.
My Son's is on intermittently, and has Windows Vista set to sync time on
the internet. I don't know when and where it does that, but it works for
him. My computers are almost always all running Linux at the same time
or are all dual booted into Windows at the same time. On the Linux side,
I have NTP running as a client on each one. They all access external NTP
servers to sync the time. I've been studying the NTPD configuration file
extensively today. I found some interesting things I'm going to post in
a different message. At the moment, I'm not running any NTP server
within my own network. On the Windows side of the fence, I run a little
executable from NIST that querys their server at fixed intervals. I
think I'm going to try to find an actual NTP client for Windows, so I
can use the same external servers I've selected for Linux.

Sincerely,

Ron