[ale] RHEL-6.1 system with 4 CPU sockets and 1TB of memory

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Jan 11 13:32:35 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-11 at 12:16 -0500, Jim Kinney wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Scott Castaline <skotchman at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > If you're my age you probably wouldn't live long enough to do that
> > much laundry & dishwashing. You might have to get her a rock along
> > with all of that, after all diamons are a girl's BF, aren't they?
> >

> She's a geologist and knows the true value of diamonds (nearly as common as
> sand) so I'm off the hook for that :-)

No joke.  If it wasn't for some crazy monopolies (DeBeers) diamonds
would be about $5 a caret.

> Emeralds and meteorites, however...

Rubies are great too.  Natural ones have to occur in unnatural
conditions that include moderately rare chromium while excluding much
more common iron from the aluminate base mineral.

Even more rare is Alexandrite where some (but not all) of the chromium
is replaced by beryllium.  Still fluoresces red under a black light like
any ruby (it's ruby at heart) but is a somber red under incandescent
light while green or blue under indirect sunlight and purple under
direct sunlight (thanks to that fluorescence).  Natural stones are
insanely expensive.  Some high quality Brazilian stones I was looking at
were $10,000 USD for 0.9 caret stone - LOOSE!  The center stone in my
wedding ring was dug out of a lab, not out of the ground and has
outstanding color change to it.  :-P

They call that effect trichroic (three color) or dichroic (referring to
any mineral or mirrors that separate colors).  Tanzanite is another
dichroic but its color changes from blue to purple with the angle of the
light hitting it.  That's the other two stones in my wedding ring.
That's my only puzzle ring with stones.  The other two are just plain
gold.