[ale] RHEL-6.1 system with 4 CPU sockets and 1TB of memory

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 11:36:01 EST 2012

Sweet!!! That's a lot of RAM slots! I've been drooling over these:
http://www.supermicro.nl/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron6000/SR56x0/H8DGG-QF.cfmI
want 12 of them packed vertically in a custom 4U case like a
mini-blade
box. At one point I saw similar ones with optional on-board QDR Infiniband.
Add one NVidia Tesla card and I'll have a baby super computer in a
luggable!

yeah. ok. cooling issues are external with a custom liquid cooling system
that's a plumbing nightmare....

I wonder how much dishwashing and laundry I have to do in order for the
SWMBO to relent on my getting one...

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Steven A. DuChene <
linux-clusters at mindspring.com> wrote:

> So I am working for a benchmarking lab at Intel and today we brought up a
> system that has 4 CPU sockets and 10 cores per socket. It has 64 DIMM slots
> with a 16GB DIMM in each slot for a total of 1TB or real memory and zero
> swap. The system is running RHEL-6.1
>
> I just thought someone would find this fascinating.
> --
> Steven DuChene

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky