[ale] slowing down an audio file

Tim Watts tim at cliftonfarm.org
Fri Jan 6 00:34:45 EST 2012

Any one know of a tool that will allow me to play an audio file (wav) at
a slower speed (and ideally rewrite it at that speed as well)?

I tried monkeying with mplayer's -srate option but that just degrades
the quality without slowing the pace.

I have some readings by Eudora Welty and the first track is so fast I
can barely follow along.  It's like she had 20 espressos beforehand.  I
believe the publisher did some kind of time compression on it so that it
would fit on one CD.  These were all recorded in 1956 but the pitch of
her voice on the 1st track is noticeably higher than the others (but it
doesn't have that chipmunk effect so they may have done some tweaking as
well).

Any tips appreciated.