[ale] They say drives fail in pairs...

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 17:39:52 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> On 01/03/2012 03:39 PM, Michael Trausch wrote:
> > I am trying to figure out what I am going to do next with this setup.  I
> > want to move the bulk of the data out of the office and onto a setup
> > that can sustain about 50/50 read/write.  (It is more or less even; the
> > humans mostly read, and automatic processes mostly write, a lot.)
>
> Actually, I am pretty sure that I am absolutely not going to use RAID.
> I'm probably going to use ZFS on FreeBSD, or btrfs on Linux (if it ever
> grows up and handles multiple devices without crapping all over you)
> instead of RAID stuff.  Because both btrfs and ZFS can grow and shrink
> dynamically, and they can take care of what amounts to RAID-like
> functionality at the filesystem level, they seem to be much better for
> things where you might be adding space on-demand.  The RAID stuffs are
> very difficult to grow or reshape with time, and the needs of a small
> business with big data storage requirements just don't mesh with RAID
> all that well.

don't try to do with RAID what is done with LVM. Use RAID for low-level
data protection and LVM for storage growth and migration. Add a pair of
drives as a RAID1. Name the mdX. Put it in as a new physical volumne. Add
it to the logical volume needed and you're off to the pub.

In HPUX, we always physically partitioned new drives in 1-10G chunks
(except for the oracle systems) so we could migrate around space as
required. It sucked adding new drives. But we almost always had spare,
unallocated space around to use.  Most business data can be logically
partitioned at a folder/directory level so splitting an unwieldy data chunk
into separate drive hunks is easy but time consuming.

>        --- Mike
>
> --
> A man who reasons deliberately, manages it better after studying Logic
> than he could before, if he is sincere about it and has common sense.
>                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/