[ale] They say drives fail in pairs...

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Jan 3 15:41:47 EST 2012

On 01/03/2012 03:39 PM, Michael Trausch wrote:
> I am trying to figure out what I am going to do next with this setup.  I
> want to move the bulk of the data out of the office and onto a setup
> that can sustain about 50/50 read/write.  (It is more or less even; the
> humans mostly read, and automatic processes mostly write, a lot.)

Actually, I am pretty sure that I am absolutely not going to use RAID.
I'm probably going to use ZFS on FreeBSD, or btrfs on Linux (if it ever
grows up and handles multiple devices without crapping all over you)
instead of RAID stuff.  Because both btrfs and ZFS can grow and shrink
dynamically, and they can take care of what amounts to RAID-like
functionality at the filesystem level, they seem to be much better for
things where you might be adding space on-demand.  The RAID stuffs are
very difficult to grow or reshape with time, and the needs of a small
business with big data storage requirements just don't mesh with RAID
all that well.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”