[ale] opening distro war arch vs ubuntu

Wolf Halton wolf.halton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 08:47:52 EST 2012

I have tried Arch, and found it an absolute bear to install.  I must admit
I was doing the install as part of a series of installs at a LinuxFest and
so could have been a little distracted.  My problem was I forgot (or never
knew) the drive number that grub was on, so I failed to get it to boot
after install.  Later, when I had less uproar around, I found the right
drive and partition, and things worked better.

I am using Ubuntu servers and they are doing just fine.  I am moving to
Debian servers because they are what the evergreen-ils devs are developing
on (for the most part) and what some of the heavy-hitter users are using.
This makes asking and answering questions about the applications easier.

I have one community server running Ubuntu 12.04LTS(alpha). It is a
bleeding-edge server for the devs and other users to play with.  It is way
off the norm, but it is fun occasionally to put a Seriously Unstable box on
the network.

Wolf