[ale] OT: hardware question

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Feb 23 14:30:25 EST 2012

Okay, to try and get this on topic a bit, I am running Centos in a VM on
my macbook, but I have a repeating problem that is baffling me.

I upgraded my drive to a 7200 750g drive a while back.  Soon after, I
started having problems that seemed to be drive related.  The drive was
still under warranty, so I returned it, purchased another identical drive.

All was good for a while.  Now, I'm having issues again.

Here's the odd part.  I generally leave my laptop up 24/7.  I only have
a problem when I shut it down and then reboot.

When I attempt to reboot, it won't.  I go into the disk utility and
check the disk for errors. Sure enough, errors.  I fix them, reboot all
is well.

This happened twice this morning.  The last time, I didn't even try to
boot it, I went directly into the recovery mode, fired up the disk
utility and sure enouch, checking the disk shows errors and says I must
fix the errors.

My point is, if the drive is going bad, why don't I have issues with the
laptop when I leave it up for extended periods of time?

Do you folks think I've just gotten into a bad batch of drives?

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson