[ale] Secure e-mail server

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 22 10:15:09 EST 2012

JD <jdp at algoloma.com> writes:

> On 02/21/2012 04:08 PM, Stephen Haywood wrote:
>> I want to move my domain from google apps to a personal server. Are there any
>> good guides for setting up a secure smtp server?
>
> I don't know any guides - didn't google either.
>
> My four rules:
> * Don't run sendmail unless email is your life AND you've outgrown the other
> alternatives.

I run a mix of sendmail and postfix on my servers.  I find that sendmail
does some things better, and postfix does other things better.  I've
been running sendmail for a much longer period of time so I'm fairly
comfortable with it.  Then again, once it's set up you generally don't
have to touch it.

> * Don't be an open relay.
> * Don't be a spammer.
> * Always have a backup MX on a different ISP with an SMTP server ready to
> receive email.

The only caveat on this last item is that your MX server *MUST* perform
the same RBL-type and other SMTP-level checks as your primary does.  If
it does not, then spam could get *into* your mail through your MX.  Or
worse, your MX might accept mail which then gets rejected from your
primary, which would cause you to deliver backscatter!

> O'Reilly has a few books on SMTP/email/MTA.
>

> IMAP rocks when you run your own server.
>
> Does anyone else run Zimbra?

I run Zarafa, but not for email.

-derek