[ale] need more help, install new NTP, outside of repository

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Feb 17 22:40:56 EST 2012

On 02/16/2012 11:11 AM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 00:56 -0500, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Thanks for the help thus far on the script file mentioned in the "help
>> please getting script file to work" thread.  I'm going to have to come
>> back to that.  However, I've decided to upgrade my NTP package before
>> doing more experiments.  The one in the Ubuntu repositories is almost 2
>> years old.  I uninstalled NTP and NTPDATE using the Synaptic package
>> manager in Ubuntu 11.04.  I downloaded the latest production NTP package
>> from ntp.org and extracted it to a folder in my home directory.  I
>> looked at the instructions here:
>>
>> file:///home/ron/NTP%204-2-6p5/html/build.html
>>
>> and found this paragraph:
>>
>> QUOTE ON -->
>>
>> The first thing to do is uncompress the distribution and extract the
>> source tree. In the distribution base directory use the ./configure
>> command to perform an automatic configuration procedure. This command
>> inspects the hardware and software environment and configures the build
>> process accordingly. Use the make command to compile and link the
>> distribution and the install command to install the executables by
>> default in /usr/local/bin.
>>
>> <-- QUOTE OFF
>>
>> I issued the ./confgure command, then the make command, and everything
>> looked fine.  Then I issued the install command, and I get this error:
>>
>> ron at asus-k52f-1:~/NTP 4-2-6p5$ install
>> install: missing file operand
>> Try `install --help' for more information.
>>
> Ah...  I'm pretty sure that's meant to be "make install" not "install".
> The "install" command installs individual files, not whole packages.
> It's used by "make install" to install the bits.
>
> And just as a bit of advice, unless I'm doing code modifications on
> packages I'm working on, even I stick to the distro packages.  Even
> then, when I am doing custom mods I'll take the source packages and
> build new rpm's (Fedora and RH) with the new sources and patches just to
> maintain the package management system.  If there isn't some feature or
> some peculiar patch you want or need, I would not go down this road.
> Quite frankly, ntp has not changed all that much.  You could end up
> introducing indetermanent problems that nobody can help you with.
> You're really on you own when you do this.
>

>> Could someone tell me how to complete the NTP installation?  I know that
>> I need to put the ntp.conf in /etc, but I don't know how to make NTPD
>> start automatically on boot, unless the install process does this.  I
>> know that, when I installed previously from the package manager, it did
>> start automatically on boot.
>>

>> As always, any help is appreciated.
>>

>> Sincerely,
>>

>> Ron
>>

> Regards,
> Mike

Hi Mike W.,

Thanks to you and the others who responded.  Sudo make install appears
to have worked putting the NTP binaries in /usr/local/bin.  However, the
usual start up and shut down scripts are missing.  I have to do some
more testing, but this new NTP version may have the same issues with the
GPS as the old one.  I don't know yet, but I may end up going back to
the package manager version of the NTP as you suggested.

Sincerely,

Ron