[ale] cannot open -> /proc/####/mem huh ?

Courtney Thomas courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 7 11:46:55 EST 2012

Jim,

As always.... thanks for your reply.

You were correct that kvm was apparently attempting to write to /proc~.

The puzzle for me is that... there is no /proc/~/mem to which to write,
but... apparently this is not permissible by design, as I'm not allowed
to change /proc's 555 permissions.

Can /proc's permissions be changed from 555 to, say, 755, and if so how;
for when I attempt this I get the error that "this is not supported" ? I
must say, though, that /proc is the only subdir in it's dir whose
permissions are not set 755.

More mystifyingly... there are other entries that ARE written to in
/proc's subdirs. Huh ? I assumed, apparently wrongly, that if a dir's
permissions disallowed writing, then it's subdirs would also not allow
writing.

I am also disallowed from changing proc's 'chown'.

Finally, when I -  cat /proc/version -  I get that Linux is version
2.6.16. Does this tell you anything ?

Bedazzled and befuddled, as usual  :-)

Courtney