[ale] How do I expand a Linux ext4 partition after hdd cloning?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Mon Dec 31 05:24:37 EST 2012

I discovered https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair a few weeks ago. It seeks out bootable OSes and sets them up in grub. It is bonehead easy to use and seemed to take all the guess work out of it.  I was adding and removing HDDs AND OSes constantly for a few days. It found them and added or removed from the boot area perfectly everytime.

"Ron Frazier (ALE)" <atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:

>I'm replacing a failing hard drive on my laptop.  The old hard drive is
>500 GB and the new one is 750 GB.  It has a FAT recovery partition put
>there by the maker of the laptop, an NTFS partition with Windows, and
>EXT4 partition with Ubuntu, and another NTFS partition for data.  I'm
>using Acronis TrueImage to clone the old hard drive to the new one.
>Acronis will automatically resize all partitions proportionally to fit
>the new space.  I don't think Windows cares, but I'm wondering if
>there's anything else I have to do to get Ubuntu booting again after
>the cloning.  I boot from the Windows boot loader, then chain over to
>grub which is on the EXT4 partition.  Any suggestions as to special
>steps I need to take?
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Ron
>

>--
>
>Sent from my Android Acer A500 tablet with bluetooth keyboard and K-9
>Mail.
>Please excuse my potential brevity.
>
>(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to
>former
>messages prior to 03/31/12 with my personal address will go to the
>wrong
>address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)
>
>(PS - If you email me and don't get a quick response, you might want to
>call on the phone.  I get about 300 emails per day from alternate
>energy
>mailing lists and such.  I don't always see new email messages very
>quickly.)
>
>Ron Frazier
>770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
>linuxdude AT techstarship.com

Sent from a Linux system running 100% software.