[ale] Way OT: ATL Neighboorhoods and Schools

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 23:29:14 EST 2012

Thank you all for the thoughtful and amusing feedback. I do like the
Cobb county area, which seems to have a consensus. I work in Marietta,
but currently live close to Decatur. She works near Emory, and it's
much easier for me to drive out to Marietta against traffic than it
would be for her to drive with traffic... but of course, that wasn't
the question.

So - we do like the Candler Park/City of Decatur/Oakhurst
neighborhoods. I'm not convinced about the schools though. Earlier
this year after getting married we put a bid on a short-sale in the
Lindmoor Woods area (un-incorporated North end of Dekalb inside the
loop). Then again, Dekalb almost sounds like it's trying to follow in
the steps of Clayton county a few years ago by the radio reports. The
short-sale has been in bank-limbo for months, so if it falls through,
I probably will give Cobb county a serious look.

As long as I'm still working for the Army, I don't know that I can pay
for private school, but I do know several co-workers that have gotten
fed up and home school.

Personally, I bounced around about a dozen private schools in Texas
with my Dad while he was working petro-chem jobs, but (1) Texas has
money - most of the schools were pretty good, and (2) my Dad and I
went to libraries religiously and he 'un-officially' home schooled me
much more effectively than the schools did. (Also, Georgia's public
libraries suck compared to those in Texas.) Either way - between
home-school, Gifted&Talented programs, robot-building or hanging out
in a library with your Dad, I agree that it's critical to teach your
own kids yourself, and make sure they have opportunities to do keep
learning things that are interesting enough not to kill off their
curiosity and joy of learning. So the G/T program is a good point.

On another note - we don't have kids yet either. But a since a
mortgage lasts longer than kids stay kids, I figured it best to think
ahead. At the very least - I know if we have kids, they'll have fun
and enjoy learning OUTSIDE of school - there's too much interesting
stuff in the world not too. I just hate the thought of kids getting
stifled into zombified ambivalence AT school. :)

So, we'll keep researching and see what happens. Thanks!

-George