[ale] [OT: Tech need in Lawrenceville]

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Dec 29 12:25:14 EST 2012

On Sat, 2012-12-29 at 11:57 -0500, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> On 12/29/2012 11:44 AM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > WHAT?
> >
> > That is well within my realm but...  Seriously?  $25 per hour?  Someone
> > has got to be joking.  On an emergency call with no pre existing
> > business relationship in place?  They have got to be kidding.
> >
> > I KNOW that the dudes that come out and service photocopiers come with a
> > price tag of closer to $120 per hour portal to portal (based on
> > experience two decades ago) for their contact customers.  My favorite
> > non-profit down on Briarcliff gets zinged $45 an hour (portal to portal)
> > for me to darken their door and we have an established relationship and
> > I haven't raised my rates on them in 20 years (should be closer to $100
> > per hour by now if I was keeping up).
> >
> > $25 per hour is chump change even if it is for just a cable monkey (and
> > here there be dragons - it's NEVER simple).  I have all the tools and
> > the cable testers (all expensive) and gear and all but there is no way I
> > would be leaving the pad for $25 per hour.  I know exactly where that is
> > (and it's no longer "Discover" Mills - they had to drop the "Discover"
> > from the name because and agreement had lapsed) and it's about a half
> > hour from here.  There's just no way at that price.

> So, We will put you down for a "maybe" then!

Ha!

There is a serious reason for throwing an attitude here and it's worth
people thinking about.

My wife, June, (whom a number of you have met and some of whom have been
to our home) was an instructional design manager for a major telco.  She
drew down some big bucks but was offered an early retirement package,
which she jumped at (I'm now close to retirement myself).  Since then,
she has worked a few contract jobs in her skill zone and pulled down
some nice change at that.  She's also been offered some that paid well
below what her skill set warranted and she turned them down.  She worked
for a while at a local outfit in Tucker cataloging images of light bulbs
for a fraction of THAT price, but it did not demand her skill set.  She
didn't mind working for less but was not going to exercise her
profession skills at a price below what was warranted.

Bottom line, to accept a lower price for your skills diminishes the
entire profession.  It sets a new, lower, bar of expectation and affects
your future prospects (oh he'll work for foo, don't offer him bar) and
the prospects for others (Wait a minute.  You only paid him $25 an hour
with no minimum and we have to pay $65 an hour with a 2 hour minimum and
pay portal to portal for this guy?  We're paying too much!  We have to
talk with this dude!).

No...  My advice to every professional.  If you need the money, accept
tasks outside of your profession at the prevailing rates but do NOT ever
accept jobs within your profession below the prevailing rates.  It
diminishes you, it diminishes the value of your skill set, and it
diminishes your profession.  There is more at stake.