[ale] Recommendations for well-maintained IP blacklists?

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Fri Dec 28 12:03:39 EST 2012

There are certainly some for email. We use ones from:
http://www.sorbs.net/
http://www.spamcop.net/
http://www.njabl.org/
http://www.spamhaus.org/

The way we use them is they act like a DNS server, and you do a lookup on the IP address. You can do this with postfix using the reject_rbl_client directive. I believe some or all of them allow you to download/rsync lists, too. While I picked ones specifically for spam, as I recall they offer various lists, some by country, etc., which may be of use to you.

Some are lists of just dynamic DNS ranges, like IPs assigned to home internet connections. That's appropriate for blocking email, but not other IP, like ssh or vpn connections. I got those from dnsstuff.com. I used to be a paid member there, but while I like the service I didn't use it enough to justify the ever increasing fees. Still, you might find some other useful info there.

Scott