[ale] First look at Winders 8

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Dec 27 10:45:39 EST 2012

see inline below

Mike Harrison <cluon at geeklabs.com> wrote:

>Shapiro waxed poetic:
>> So heck, maybes this is the Way the World will Go, and us happy
>hard-workin' coders will merely be weird old fossils in a universe of
>> sunglasses-wearing HTML writers.
>
>In the real world, where bandwidth, CPU, memory,
>and -long term- reliability and maintainability are issues,
>fossils like us kick ass,

Yes, but some of the newbie 20 or 30 something year old's planning and managing things in the new world order don't understand the need for these virtues you mention.  They don't understand the need for individual and organizational character and integrity.  They don't know that their organizational structure doesn't have them.  They don't know they need them.  And, they don't know what will ultimately happen, badly, without them.

Our commercial world is now in an epidemic of political correctness, looking cool whether what's under the hood is cool or not, shipping the product whether it's done or not, short term thinking and planning, and failure to understand the dangers of inherently flawed product / service / organization design.  Historically, I'm a Windows user and have been mostly happy with it.  No more.  I'm upgrading my important machines to Windows 7.  Most likely, my journey on the Windows train ends there, unless they change course.  This new redesign is an epic example of looking cool, without being cool, at least for power users.  It sacrifices tons of functionality and essentially leaves people who actually use their WindowS (not Window) computer for productivity and development and who actually use multiple, perhaps, many "windows" on the screen out in the cold.

Here is an example of short term thinking from 20 years ago.  I used to manage a Netware network for my employer.  We had a scenario where the server's main hard drive, which I think was 300 GB, would run out of space.  Messages would start appearing on everyone's screen to delete unneeded files.  I would contact all the managers and reiterate the same thing.  Then, I would get into the management functions of Netware and  start looking for redundant, temporary, and obsolete files I could delete.  This would tie up an entire day for me, and inconvenience about 120 users.  Eventually, I would manage to erase or backup 20 GB of space or so, and office life would resume.  About 6 months later, this would happen again.  I begged and begged for a new hard drive, which would cost about $ 2000 at the time.  But, no, it wasn't in the budget.  However, they probably lost $ 20,000 in productivity every time this happened.  I eventually had to retask another hard drive we had in stock for another purpose, out of desperation, just so our employees in the department could get some work done without worrying about server crashes.

It's only gotten exponentially worse in the last 20 years.

Sincerely,

Ron