[ale] Distro recommendations for RPI?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Dec 25 16:25:44 EST 2012

There is a Fedora spin for RPi.

-derek

Sent from my HTC smartphone

----- Reply message -----
From: "Jeff Layton" <laytonjb at att.net>
To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts" <ale at ale.org>
Subject: [ale] Distro recommendations for RPI?
Date: Tue, Dec 25, 2012 1:14 PM

Happy Holidays all!

I got a RPI for Christmas! (who says Christmas can't be great
when you're 50?) That means I'm looking for recommendations
for distros for it. In general I may be doing the following with it:

- Some testing with it around numerical applications (curious
    more than anything)
- I'd like to write some python code that may involve Numpy,
   matplotlib, and a few other packages
- I like a good desktop/window manager
- Firefox? (not a big deal)
- Playing flash movies (not sure if this is possible)
- Pretty decent set of media capabilities (I may try handbrake
   on it at some point :)  )

Based on this terse set of things does anyone have
recommendations for a good distro for it?

My initial surfing has turned up Bodhi Linux (I really like
Enlightment and want to try the newest version), Red Sleeve
Linux (I'm a long-time RH and clone user), OpenSUSE (I think
they use icewm which I really like), and of course, Raspian.
But honestly, I'm not wedded to anything at this point.

TIA! And Merry Christmas!

Jeff

See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo