[ale] First look at Winders 8

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 14:03:16 EST 2012

On 12/25/2012 09:55 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:

> Being a content sucking device maker works for apple. So much so they
> make more money from dribbling content than selling the sucking devices.
> So mickeysoft wants to suck like the bitten fruit company.
> Here's to more fully open source, drm free hardware makers.
>
> On Dec 25, 2012 7:45 AM, "Charles Shapiro" <hooterpincher at gmail.com
> <mailto:hooterpincher at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Passing through the airport yesterday I got a look at Microsoft's
>     new marketing push for Windows 8.  The droids there had never
>     heard of Gorilla Arm (
>     http://catb.org/jargon/html/G/gorilla-arm.html ) and could tell me
>     nothing at all about developing for it. They claimed that
>     development tools would debut some time in January. Microsoft
>     appears to have abandoned its interest in corporate computing and
>     tried to position windows solely as a content delivery service.
>     Baffling.
>
>     -- CHS

 From what I have read Microsloth has forgotten that content must be
produced to be consumed. Also, M$ apparently has bought the hype "the PC
is dead", not realizing the desktop and full laptop are very good
devices for both creating and consuming content while the other devices
are very poor at creation because of UI limitations. Also, the PC market
is a mature market in many countries where market growth is mostly
coming from economic and population growth not from a large untapped
reservoir of users. I suspect the tablet and smartphone market will
reach maturity faster than expected since they are partially based on
replacing cellphones (another relatively mature market) with a more
capable device. The only way some people will get a smartphone or tablet
device instead of a cellphone is when the price of the former drops so
low that they may as well as buy one and cellphones are relatively cheap.

I wonder how many people if they can only afford one major computing
device will opt for a PC and not a tablet or smartphone?

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com