[ale] KernelNewbies website

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Fri Dec 21 10:20:52 EST 2012

Thanks for doing that!

I'm afraid I cannot be very specific, but one thing I've noticed in general
is that there is not a great deal of easy-to-google and yet accurate
information on linux-next or the mm tree.  Because kernelnewbies is a well
known site, information there might help folks who google for this info.

I edited the wikipedia article on the mm tree a little bit to clear up some
of the most inaccurate stuff after learning about the mm tree via hard
knocks and email exchanges with Andrew Morton.  I learned bunches about
linux-next but haven't been able to put the information anywhere, since
it's spread on obsolete blog entries and such.

Newbies to kernel development might be interested in the mm tree because it
has a lot of new features, fixes, and experimental things.  If you don't
need to have the mm tree of *right now*, there's even a branch in
linux-next, which you can use in git as "linux-next/akpm" once you add the
linux-next remote.

Newbies will be interested in linux-next because that's where the subsystem
maintainers are trying to get their work to apply, so a newbie would
probably want their work to apply there too, or at least to know about
problems if it doesn't apply cleanly.

I bet staging is pretty well covered already.

I think the reason nobody has updated the info on linux-next is that it's
so easy to use once you add the remote repo to your git tree.  You might
add and use it like this:

git remote add linux-next git://
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
git fetch linux-next
git checkout linux-next/akpm
git branch newbiestuff
vi net/core/dev.c # or whatever
git commit -a -m 'net: changed something or whatevs'
git format-patch -o /tmp/newbiepatches \
  -s \
  --to="someone at example.com" \
  --cc="someoneelse at example.com" \
  --cover-letter \
  --numbered-files \
  --thread=shallow \
  linux-next/akpm
vi /tmp/newbiepatches/0  # mention the upstream commit by hash and name in
cover letter

  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/
  http://www.coraid.com/