[ale] openSUSE 12.x and ath5k wlan0

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Sat Dec 15 18:40:59 EST 2012

Yast|Network Devices|Network Settings.
Select the wireless card and edit it.
Select the Hardware tab, select Next button, and you're in the wireless Device settings.

-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net> 12/15/2012   02:38 PM >>>
Hi.

I always thought that openSUSE would be a good choice for a mother in law,
along with Mac OS X.

I gave it a try, and I have a Linksys wireless PCI card in a PC I bought
used around 2007.  During install, I was asked what ESSID and security to
use, and I could net install using wireless, which was cool.

During boot, though, I was asked in the configuration (or
"auto-configuration", maybe) stage, about the security, etc., and I got the
answer wrong.

Well, that wrong answer wound up in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0, and
I wasn't able to use YaST to re-populate the file with good info.

I was able to use wpa_gui to get a nice
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file, such that I could do,

  killall wpa_supplicant
  wpa_supplicant ... -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf &
  dhclient wlan0

... so I made a new config script that does those things, and now
Mom-in-law can use Google docs, etc.

But I feel like a curmudgeon.  All too often, I cannot figure out the
distro way for stuff and wind up working around it by doing it with my own
init script.

Does anyone know how an openSUSE enthusiast would have solved this
problem?  My current two guesses are,

  1) install some YaST plugin that I lack.  Currently I don't see the
ability to control parameters like ESSID through YaST's network settings, or

  2) re-run that auto-configure post-install step somehow.

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/

If this is an unsolicited spam message, please click this link to report it: http://control.eastcobbgroup.com:49285/contents/spamreport.shtml?rptid=19215&srvid=16vl15t