[ale] Btrfs anyone?

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Wed Dec 12 02:46:25 EST 2012

On 12/11/2012 05:38 PM, Beddingfield, Allen wrote:
> They have repeatedly made it clear that EXT4 is not welcome/won't be
> supported and that XFS and Btrfs are their future direction.  I don't
> think any other distros have jumped out there quite as boldy with
> Btrfs that I am aware of.

btrfs _should_ be safe for production use.  I've used it on and off for
the last few years.  The only problem I had with it last time was
performance---it was abysmal for various workloads I could toss at it.
Those issues should all be fixed as of the 3.7 kernel, but I haven't had
a chance to test and probably won't take the time to do so for another
few months yet.

Basically, ext4 does fine under my loads, and the advanced features of
btrfs are only useful when taken advantage of.

As long as they've fixed the performance problems, I would say that you
should test it first, and then cautiously deploy it.  Same as you'd
treat any new piece of technology: test it first.

	--- Mike