[ale] OT Comcast cable fanout question

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Dec 10 21:07:27 EST 2012

Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:

>On 12/10/2012 04:54 PM, Jim Lynch wrote:
>> I have a simple 3 way splitter for my 3 TVs.  I'd like to dump DSL
>and
>> go to a cable modem but I'm concerned about splitting it one more
>time.
>> Should I be?  If I pay them to install it, will they take care of it
>> if there is a problem?  Is there a decent powered splitter that would
>
>> work?
>Hey, thanks a bunch for all the information.  I will admit that Comcast
>
>has been much more helpful WRT cable issues and installs in recent
>years.  I'll see if I can talk with someone there that might understand
>
>my issues.  I'll first try to let them solve the problems if any before
>
>I purchase my own amp.
>
>Thanks,
>Jim.

Assuming you're not violating any terms of service by what you're adding, they should be able to dispatch a tech to get you set up and measure all your levels, etc.  One more thing I thought of.  The first level telephone support people usually are not too privy to technical details.  They run you though a flowchart of simple diagnostics and troubleshooting.  If their tech installs your cable modem, he will make sure it's getting plenty of signal and can advise you on the status of your other tv circuits, if he knows what he's doing.  Most of the techs I've encountered have been both knowledgeable and helpful.  If you're talking to someone on the phone and you're not getting the help you need, ask to be transferred to a manager or other support person or ask to escalate the problem to the next level of support.  Eventually, you'll find the right connection to get help.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com