[ale] OT Comcast cable fanout question

Vernard Martin vernard at venger.net
Mon Dec 10 17:04:02 EST 2012

On 12/10/2012 04:54 PM, Jim Lynch wrote:
> I have a simple 3 way splitter for my 3 TVs.  I'd like to dump DSL and
> go to a cable modem but I'm concerned about splitting it one more time.
> Should I be?  If I pay them to install it, will they take care of it
> if there is a problem?  Is there a decent powered splitter that would
> work?
>
> I don't want to get stuck with something that doesn't work.

yes, you will have issues. I have comcast cable and was using a three
way splitter that I got who-knows-where many years ago. I started having
lots of dropped connections on my cable modem. The comcast technician
found that the signal was way too low coming out of the splitter. he
provided me at no extra cost (its not like they don't get PLENTY of
money out of me already per month) and its powered from a standard 110
outlet. now I get no more drops on the cable modem. I'm sure you can
probably get a powered splitter from radio shack and it'll do the same
thing. But comcast did provide me one that worked.

As always, your miledage may vary. I've noticed that the quality of the
service I get from Comcast is based entirely upon which technician that
they send to my house.

Vernard