[ale] Need help building a read only Linux appliance

Richard Bronosky richard at bronosky.com
Mon Dec 10 09:52:24 EST 2012

I'm hoping to design a system that any parent can build themselves. Ideally
this would mean:
1. no soldering
2. runs on ignition switched power (no need to tie into constant/clock
power as has been suggested elsewhere)

I'll add your link to my reference material, but at a price greater than
the RPi, it would be my absolute last resort.

As simontek noted, Linux live CDs work this way. Also, Linux based routers
are power fault tolerant. That's the route I want to go.

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Dennis Ruzeski <denniruz at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1- The last computer I could just turn off ran DOS 6.. Wanna go back
> there? Be be guest.
> 2- I don't think a read-only system is ideal here. Use this instead-
>
> http://store.mp3car.com/Micro_Shutdown_Controller_p/PWR-007.htm?ProductCode=PWR-007&Click=29952
>
> Good luck! I'll be rolling a car pc here in the next few weeks on a
> RPi. We should exchange notes when we're done or maybe this is a good
> meeting subject?
>
> --Dennis
>

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Richard Bronosky <richard at bronosky.com>
> wrote: