[ale] how do i find cheap tablet with decent features

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sat Dec 8 11:05:27 EST 2012

I looked at newegg briefly.  I didn't see anything too appealing at first glance, but I may look again.

I was poking around on the Deal Extreme website at http://www.dx.com/ .  They have some interesting deals.  (Note, I have not used this vendor before, but they look pretty cool.)  I even found a 1 GHz dual core 1 GB  tablet for around $ 100 with free shipping.  It's very hard to tell whether these things support / include the google play store, google market, or nothing.  Also, some of the reviews claimed many of the apps were in Chinese as well as the manuals.  One mentioned a firmware bug involving brightness control.  So, I guess you get a mixed bag of advantages and disadvantages from sources like this.

Rich, didn't you purchase a Le Pan tablet or something about a year ago.  How did that work out?

I thought of another feature I want, a g sensor, so the tablet will autorotate the screen.  Most of them have that I think.  I don't need an accelerometer, compass, or gps for this one, although all those things are nice if they're there.

It looks like I might have to give up the bluetooth in this price range.

Sincerely,

Ron