[ale] OT: Slightly, this affects all platforms and hit M$ hard.

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Dec 7 11:03:59 EST 2012

Hi all,

That looks like a good article.  I'm going to print it and read it.  I've already read the first few paragraphs.  I use Windows on all my systems most of the time.  I generally like it, except for the financial issues involved in upgrades and buying mainstream apps.  However, that's why I use open source alternatives like Firefox and LibreOffice.  I also periodically boot into Linux to do things that Windows either doesn't do well or doesn't do at all.  I also use Linux as my learning platform because I like to know what tech alternatives are out there.  Can't afford a Mac though just for learning that.

This Windows "redesign", "reboot", whatever, is an incredibly stupid debacle.  It is disgusting as well.  I have never used a live Windows 8 system, but I have read enough and heard enough on podcasts, that I've decided that this "Windows" is an abomination ... User Interface Heresy.  As long as MS maintains this design direction, that code will NOT grace the electrons flowing through my CPU.  I've made the decision to upgrade all my systems, and my Dad's, except for one very old one I own, perhaps, to Windows 7.  It works well and does what I need.  It's what Vista should have been.  When support for 7 expires in 8 years or whatever, I may have to abandon the MS train all together.

What's very frustrating, in the context of this mailing list, is that I've spent 2 years learning how to deal with Ubuntu, and now THEY are also betraying me in the same way with Unity and with other examples of social malfeasance that have been documented here previously.

There are literally hundreds of system and application settings I check or tweak for a new OS install, and a number of applications I install, for each computer.  It will probably take me a week to get each computer the way I want it.  Some things, like Firefox and LibreOffice settings, have to be duplicated on every user login.  So, I get to do this on every system and OS that I own, all because the design committees at two companies who were putting out a pretty good product and meeting user needs pretty well decided to break everything and send us back to the Desktop User Interface stone age!

pant ... pant ... pant

OK.  Rant over.  What was I supposed to be doing?

Oh, yes, reading and configuring dozens of cryptic Internet Explorer and Firefox / Noscript security settings.  Yeah, that's it.

Sincerely,

Ron