[ale] OT: a interesting new Android 4.04 based toy to play with

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Dec 3 10:46:04 EST 2012

Hi all,

Thanks to all who provided suggestions to help me with this cheapo
tablet.  I really wanted to like the device.  However, I cannot find an
easy way to get the latest google play store on it.  It also doesn't
have bluetooth, something which I would need to use the Torque program
to monitor my car's instruments, etc.  I don't have too much time to
tinker with it just to get it working and don't want to brick it.  So,
I'm returning it to Big Lots.  I'll save my money to get one that's
authorized by google.  I found this official list of google play
supported devices.  Unfortunately, the really cheap devices aren't
generally on this list.  I appreciate all the help.

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1727131

Sincerely,

Ron

On 11/26/2012 12:16 PM, Jason van Gumster wrote:
> "Ron Frazier (ALE)"<atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com>  wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the links you sent.  I'll check out the hackers keyboard later.
>> However, I'm using a physical bluetooth keyboard on this tablet.  When this
>> is on, the on screen keyboard goes away.  It works great but it has no keys
>> for page up, page down, home, end, cut, copy, paste.  I was wondering if
>> there were shortcuts like (ctrl-c) etc. which would work.
>>
> Ah... I'm not aware of any, but haven't had a need to look for them either (the
> tablet I got doesn't have bluetooth support).
>

>> I was able to use the other link to install the google market on this cheap
>> tablet.  However, it's an older version, which has now been replaced by the
>> google play store.  I tried installing the apk for the play store from my
>> other tablet, but the app keeps crashing.  Do you (or anyone) know how to get
>> the newest google play store working on one of these tablets like the
>> Uniden?  The play store has some cool features like auto app updates that I'd
>> like to take advantage of.
>>
> Sorry, no. I haven't come across any means to get that happening. The Market
> was good enough for me and I stopped there. That said, I'm considering the
> tactic of trying out another ROM on the tablet (e.g. Cyanogen mod). It's a long
> shot that stinks of desperation, but perhaps that would remove the Play store's
> inhibitions.
>
> Apologies that I couldn't provide a more helpful (and timely) response...
>
>    -Jason

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)