[ale] Recommendations for mail server w/ LDAP?

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Sun Dec 2 19:02:03 EST 2012

On 12/02/2012 01:21 PM, James Taylor wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but 20gb mailboxes and hundreds of
> thousands of messages in a single folder usually don't scale well on
> a flat file mail system. I work with that scale on most of the
> systems I support (not exchange, very, very fortunately..) and they
> need a regularly indexed database to keep them from falling over at
> best.

Cyrus seems to have the ability to "partition" things, but I don't see
anything that speaks to its ability to handle a single user's massively
massive mailboxes.

It is actually starting to look like custom code for Dovecot might be
the answer, though I don't like that answer at all, personally.  :-)

> Historically, ISP scale systems consisted of a lot of email boxes
> without huge amounts of mail on the server in each folder. Of course
> the current biggies are more like what was described above. But I
> doubt any of them use a flat file mail system.

Partitioning á la Cyrus would seem to solve that problem, since then you
can actually have mail users on different systems.  Cyrus' so-called
"murder" setup also seems to make it possible to do things like have
folders for a single user spread across different servers, but I'm
really only interested in running a single mail server since we're only
talking about about 10 users.  They just have massive mail storage needs
per each individual.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”