[ale] Recommendations for mail server w/ LDAP?

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Dec 1 21:53:53 EST 2012

Yeah, but then I can't use the virtual users functionality that let's you
have acls and other things that allow delegation. Besides, the ldap server
doesn't have uids and gids for posix, so my understanding is that it would
not work for Unix system Auth.

Unless I am missing something...

The way that I understand dovecot's (lacking!) docs is that most ACL-like
functionality only works if using virtual users, since then all is stored
as a single uid/gid managed by the mail system. Getting something simple so
wrong, though, doesn't make me feel very confident that it is going to be
able to manage permissions correctly.

Am looking at Cyrus instead. It actually seems to have exactly the features
I want, with replication, and also the ability to easily scale so that
users can be distributed. Am too pooped to load it up on my test lab
tonight, but will likely do so tomorrow and see it it'll work for my
needs...

- Mike