[ale] Stable, backward compatible APIs

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 16:26:16 EDT 2012

On 08/30/2012 03:58 PM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> Of course this is why RHEL is setup the way it is.   You can put your Enterprise on it and trust that you don't have to do a complete revamp of everything every year or so.   (In fact for RHEL5 Redhat announced earlier this year they were extending its life from 7 years to 10 years even though RHEL6 has been out for over a year.)
>
> On the flip side it means some things on RHEL get a bit long in the tooth.  (e.g. BIND 9.3 is the base RedHat uses on RHEL5)  Redhat does backport security and bug fixes from later upstream versions into theirs but still it becomes limited compared to newer things.  But then again for an app like that you can always forego the RHEL provided package and download/build the latest from source.
Ubuntu LTS releases are now for 5 years. The advantage LTS releases
(Ubuntu, RHEL, etc) is a period of stability where the release is
supported. The only real issues are how long should the period last and
how easy is it upgrade to latest LTS release.

A related issue, often new Windows releases have traditionally had more
significant hardware requirements than the older release. This makes
upgrading more expensive than just rolling out a new version because
some fraction of the hardware must be upgraded to run the new version.