[ale] Linux bashed by Apple?

Rich Faulkner rfaulkner at Tux86.org
Thu Aug 30 08:41:10 EDT 2012

I think the idea with "too many competing technologies" is just fine.
Do we want a monopoly?  I for one do not.  That is what Microsoft has
regarding their hold on consumer's concerning their desktop.  I for one
prefer choice and change at a developer's whim.  Why?  Innovation and
the freedom to innovate and invent.  Not all ideas will be useful and I
for one do not have to change just because a developer did.

My machines run Ubuntu 11.04.  Why?  Because it is the last version of
Ubuntu that offers Gnome2 OOB (that I am aware of) and it suits my
needs.  I turn-off notifications on major releases of the OS and do not
do migrations just because it's April or October.  I use what I use
because it suits my needs.  No discomfort or dissatisfaction here...

The idea behind free software is that we are free to innovate and make a
better product because of it.  Take that away and we're nothing more
than another Apple or Microsoft.  YMMV but to each their own.  I for one
do find frustration in the recent convolutions of the DE market; but who
says I have to embrace their change?  I roll my own and like it that
way...so to this I say (IMHO); compete and bring new technologies to
bear in the free market of GNU/Linux.

But then again, the desktop is on the way out...hand held and portable
devices will rule the day.  Their kind will drive the next decade and
into the cloud.  (I believe that's why Apple is suing over iPad patent
infringement and why Google may be next after Samsung - they seek to own
that market and be the next Microsoft).  Less and less importance on a
DE and more upon the UI that interfaces with cloud services.  Be it
browsers or what have you; small, thin and powerful (portables) will
rule the development scene.  This is where Linux will continue to shine
as it already has...more likely I think it that desktops (and Linux as
we use it today) will become a niche and specialized corner of the
industry for those who are developers and content creators.

Turning "Rant" to "off"......RinL