[ale] [ANNC] ALE-NW @ SPSU MTG. for Thurs., Aug. 30, 7:30pm

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Aug 29 09:04:38 EDT 2012

I hope this is a repeat send ....

Tomorrow night - Thursday evening meeting.

The next ALE-NW at SPSU meeting is being held Thursday, Aug. 30th, 2012 at 7:30pm
in room J-266 of the Atrium (J) building on the SPSU campus.

The feature presentation will be Orlando Karam's most excellent presentation on:

	Linux on ARM and the Raspberry Pi

Abstract:
ARM is a family of computer architectures, different from x86, and
characterized for its low cost and low power consumption. Many cell-phones
and tablets run on ARM, and now there are many low-cost low-power servers
running on ARM. We will discuss some of the available hardware and the
status of the software, with a special focus on the Raspberry-Pi, a $35
computer system designed with a focus on education, but useful on many
domains.

---------

Bio:
Presenter: Orlando Karam was born in the US but grew up in Mexico. He got
hooked up on Unix while a grad student at Tulane University, and has been
running Linux on servers and laptops for more than 15 years. He teaches
computer science at Southern Poly, and has been playing with his raspberry
pi since he got it 6 weeks ago.

=======
For a campus map and a link to directions please see
<http ://www.spsu.edu/visitspsu/campusmaps/index.htm>
or visit the ALE NW wiki page at
<http://tomshiro.org/twiki/view/ALE/AleNwOrg>
Parking in non reserved spaces in the P60 deck is best.
building J, the Atrium building, is a short distance east
of the parking deck.
======
ALE-NW at SPSU meetings are open events and we hope
you will join us!  Also remember that topic suggestions
and presentation offers the meetings can be emailed to
[ jdp (at) algoloma ]

======
As always, the info is also available to the public on our site:
<http://ale.org>