[ale] Google resets

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 11:12:49 EDT 2012

On 2012/08/20, at 10:06 , Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> Anyone else having trouble doing Google searches
> this morning?   I keep getting connection resets.

This was addressed extensively on the list just a week
or so ago.  David Thomaschik offered the following:
=======
==> Re: [ale] OT: google search behavior
========
I suggest reading:
<http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2007/07/reason-behind-were-sorry-message.html

This can be seen if a lot of users are NATted/proxied to a single IP
address, you issue queries at a very high rate, etc.

David
==========
(full disclosure reminder that David is now
a Google employee)

>  Bing on the other hand works just fine.

Sure, but Bung results are useless, so it really doesn't
matter if you can get to it or not.  (This is not just my
opinion, it is the opinion of absolutely everyone
I've ever had a conversation with comparing Bung
and Google.)

> I saw mention on this list last week of Google limiting
> traffic from common IPs affecting all outbound workstations
> on corporate networks that share a single outbound IP.

See above.

> Is Google really so short-sighted that they don’t know
> corporations do this?

I don't think there's anything short sighted about it.  Google
are simply and justifiably protecting their services from
abuse, corporate or otherwise.

>    Are they unaware alternatives like Bing exist so
> people are more likely to use that than go through
> the trouble of modifying their corporate networks?

Google is ubiquitous and competent.  Bing is neither.
Corporate IT will get off their windiseased butts and modify
their networks. All the more inevitably when the whole Bung
hole service becomes even more useless due to abuse.

peace
aaron