[ale] WiFi at Emory meeting building?

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Thu Aug 16 13:14:59 EDT 2012

On 08/16/2012 12:59 PM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 12:41 -0400, mike at trausch.us wrote:
>> On 08/16/2012 09:45 AM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>>> Might be work experimenting with.  I might even bring my laptop along
>>> just to check out the current state of IPv6.  :-P
>
>> My cell phone has native IPv6 now.  (YAY!!!!)
>
> From your carrier?  I'm impressed.  What carrier?

T-Mobile.  Only a few phones are capable of using it though, because of
the fact that IP is actually implemented in the chipset (for the cell
network).  The HTC G2 doesn't have support for it, but the Samsung SGS3
(my current phone) does.  And it WORKS!

I'm not sure _why_ they did this, though.  Obviously the Linux kernel
handles the IP setup for the WiFi stack, I'm not sure why it doesn't for
the GSM/EDGE/HSDPA/LTE stack.  I'm guessing that they decided that it
was somehow "better", but given that:

 (a) My cell data connection is slower than WiFi, and
 (b) My previous three phones have been able to saturate WiFi
     connections just fine...

... it is obviously NOT "we decided to implement IP in the radio
firmware or hardware for performance reasons".

They rolled out native support on IPv6 day, but I wasn't able to take
advantage of it until I upgraded my phone.  Even CM on the G2 wasn't
able to use it, due to hardware restrictions.

Also, native IPv6 isn't enabled on new phone configurations by default
(yet).  You have to change the APN setting to "IPv4/IPv6" or "IPv6 only"
to get the IPv6 connection to come up.  The phone ships in "IPv4 only"
mode by default.

> My cell phone has native IPv6 but only when it's connected to a network
> supporting IPv6 (home on WiFi mostly).

That was the case for my old phone.

I'd like to start playing with the Mobile IPv6 stuff, as I'd *love* to
be able to take my address with me everywhere.  However, I'm pretty sure
that this requires setup, and I'm also pretty sure that nobody actually
configures their networks to enable it.

I'd thought about the ability to somehow keep my phone "attached" to my
network using IPsec, but I'm not certain that such a thing is even
possible.  IPsec associations are, as I understand them, bound by a
tuple of (addrA, addrB, securityAssociation), which makes it impossible
to use when the mobile address doesn't remain the same.  e.g., my
understanding leads me to believe that IPsec would be effectively
useless without also having a mobile-device-only subnet and IPv6 mobility.

>> That said, there's no signal in that blasted room...
>
> No signal?  As in no WiFi or no 3G signal?  Sucks...  So much for that
> theory.  I know it's got some signal since I was sitting next to Kathryn
> a couple of months back when her phone went off and she had to take an
> important call...  I haven't tried with my phone on Sprint in there.

I'll revise to be more accurate:  There *is* signal, but it *sucks*.
Usually 0 or 1 bars.  Enough to (barely) get voice calls through, enough
to get SMS through most of the time, but almost never enough to usefully
tether.

As I mentioned in another part of the thread, we *could* have a device
(and I'd even be willing to donate it) that hooks up to the Ethernet in
the front of the room, and exposes that.  Whether or not it requires
approval is not something I know, but either way, it'd have to be
WPA2/PSK so as to keep the connection limited to the ALE group.  I'd
expect that the PSK probably needs to be changed every six months or so
just to ensure that the shared secret doesn't spread too far.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”