[ale] comcast business + mail server = static ip?

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Wed Aug 1 14:26:50 EDT 2012

On 08/01/2012 12:27 PM, Scott Plante wrote:
> I seem to recall a lot of mail servers will block your mail as spam if
> the dns record is <86400 (24hr). Also there are lists of dynamic ranges
> that your address may be in and cause your mail to be blocked. Not
> having a reverse DNS entry will also cause some of your email to be
> blocked as spam. This is all for outgoing mail, so you may be able to
> get around it by routing all your outgoing mail through the Comcast SMTP
> server, but you probably want to get the static IP or use a mail host.

I haven't had mail rejected based on the DNS TTL (for my domain, the TTL
has been 3600 almost forever).

But I have had:

  * Mail from static IP addresses formerly owned by bad netizens blocked
    (not marked spam, but completely rejected) due to rules in a DNS
    blacklist

  * Mail from addresses explicitly marked dynamic either blocked or put
    in spam folders at the destination.

  * Mail from SMTP servers without a valid RDNS PTR either blocked or
    put in spam folders at the destination.

One setup I manage has mail coming directly to the mail server, but all
outbound mail goes through a satellite on Linode's network.  That's
worked well for me for the past few years.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”