[ale] GnuCash [OT]

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed Aug 1 11:59:55 EDT 2012

Right but it’s one thing to be on the hook for something that you “own” (even if you’ve incorporated) and being on the hook for a much larger corporation that at the time was collecting more in monthly sales taxes than my annual salary.   For your corporation you may feel personally responsible even when you’re not legally responsible.   For someone else’s business taking personal responsibility for the things you can control is one thing – taking it for things that you can’t control is another issue.   Allowing someone in authority to try to make you operate contrary to laws/rules is just begging for it.    Even if you don’t get held personally responsible when it hits the fan you’re apt to pay the consequences in other ways.   There were many accountants at Enron who might not have been part of the actual scams but they saw what was happening and didn’t do anything to stop it – they all ended up out of work and if they had the company retirement plan heavily loaded with Enron stock also lost much of their savings.