[ale] Slightly OT: Where do you get decent Batteries?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Apr 30 20:34:27 EDT 2012

Neal,

I've had pretty good luck ordering NEW OLD STOCK (NOS) phone batteries
from some Amazon vendors.  This is inventory that has never been used or
sold.  It may be a few years old though.  Make sure you look for
something that says new old stock or that says new.  Most of what I've
ordered were OEM parts made by Motorola or LG.  I have not purchased any
laptop batteries like this.  You have to check that you're getting
actual factory parts, not clones.  Look for a vendor feedback rating of
95% +.  98% is even better.

This process has a few risks, but it can save you lots of money.  For
the cost of one battery from Verizon, which is $ 40, you can buy 10 NOS
batteries which sometimes come with free shipping.  So, even if you buy
4 and two fail, you're still ahead of the game.  Make sure the terminals
are shiny.  Scrape off any debris, tarnish, or corrosion.  If it's very
corroded, don't use it.  This number is a bit arbitrary, but I would
fully charge and fully discharge each battery 5 times to make sure the
chemistry is working, and to make sure the phone's charging system is
calibrated to the battery.  After that, charge the batteries as often as
practical.  Lithium chemistry batteries don't like being fully
discharged all the time, and doing this on and on actually reduces the
life.  I'm carrying a backup battery for my phone in my pocket.  If the
phone dies while I'm out, I just swap in the backup, then charge the
original when I get back home or in the car.  My phone doesn't give me
much warning when it dies.  Once the backup is discharged, I'll probably
make it the primary and the other one the backup.

These are the Amazon vendors I've bought from.  This is not a full blown
recommendation for them.  They just happen to be the ones that had the
parts I wanted.  However, I got the merchandise and haven't had any
problems with it.

Accessory Outlet, OEM Planet, Best N Price, Battery King, BTO, Inc., and
Wireless Unlimited.

Good luck.

Sincerely,

Ron

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier

770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com