[ale] pay rates vs. experience

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 07:42:56 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Matthew <simontek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks dave, that was really insightful. I get tired of recruiters
> sending me 3 month contracts, for places nowhere me. And a lot of
> recruiters calls/emails are cheap/not paying well. I wish they would
> leave me alone.
>
> On 4/30/12, David Ritchie <deritchie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Lightner, Jeff <JLightner at water.com>
>> wrote:
>>> On the most recent posting on the Ale jobs list I had to laugh when I saw
>>> pay range of 65k-75k for everything THAT job entailed such as SAN
>>> administration, managing 5000 domains in BIND just to name a couple.
>>> Even
>>> funnier was that it was 6 months CTP – Really?  They can’t figure out
>>> whether someone is worthwhile in 3 months?   True you don’t really get
>>> fully
>>> up to speed in a new complex environment in less than 6 months but it
>>> should
>>> be obvious long before that whether you are CAPABLE of getting up to
>>> speed
>>> or not.
>>
>> Some headhunters use the term 'purple squirrel' to describe candidates
>> that meet these qualifications.
>> Needless to say, these jobs don't get filled quickly - purple
>> squirrels are almost always already
>> working, don't have to take contract jobs, and don't work for low $$.
>> Headhunters hate these positions because they have to spend a lot of
>> time working to fill them.
>>
>> Re wage rates -  there are employers that believe that because people
>> building houses are out of work, that system administrators are in the
>> same boat. not clueful....
>>
>> Often, when a person has a lot of qualfiication but not a lot of time
>> in service, it is a warning that you
>> really have to look at experience. Some  candidates writing down every
>> item that was at the
>> previous companies he/she worked for, whether or not they actually
>> have any experience with the
>> technology.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Dave Ritchie

> Sent from my mobile device
>
> SimonTek
> 912-398-6704

Sad part is a lot of company won't meet you in the middle. It like
this is rate, take or leave. What gets me, when you leave it. They act
like, well we were offering you a house of gold.

On recruiters, I am tired of getting the calls from a group that can't
say my name correctly,  I know they are only calling me so they can
say we can't fill the position, and get someone in here on a B-1 or
H1B visa.

--
Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 8-10, 2012 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org