[ale] Fwd: botlanta - raspberry pi - you have to see this video

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sat Apr 28 16:51:08 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

This is a forward from the Atlanta Hobby Robotics group.  If you haven't
seen this video on the Rasberry Pi Model B single board computer, you
really need to see it.  It's ultra cool.  One of the developers shows
how to set the computer up, and goes through a small bit of programming
in Python and C.  Then he answers a bunch of questions.  Single board
computer, runs Debian, HDMI 1080p 3D video, composite video, audio, 2X
USB, 10/100 ethernet, SD card slot for up to class 4 / 16 GB cards, 700
mhz arm cpu, 256 MB ram.  Price: $ 35.  This thing is REALLY cool.  It's
so new, the factory is just starting to make them.  They have an order
backlog of about 100,000 units.

With 6 computers to maintain, counting my Dad's and my tablet, which
encompass 3 operating system, and 3 dual booters, sometimes I think I'm
running my own IT department.  It is quite overwhelming at times just to
keep them patched and backed up.  I use each computer for different
purposes, so it's not as easy as you might think to consolidate and
eliminate some of them.  I didn't think I'd be entertaining the idea of
getting another machine.  However, I might have to get one of these.
While I wouldn't necessarily use it as a desktop machine, it would be
great for experimenting.  I could see using it as a security camera web
server, mini router, firewall, robotics controller, home automation
controller, automated kiosk presentation system, etc.

One neat thing about it is you can back it up just be duplicating the
memory card.  You can restore to ground zero just by reflashing the
memory card.

Imagine pairing this with a wall wart, usb or bluetooth keyboard, usb or
bluetooth mouse, wifi adapter, and a pico projector.  You'd have a
highly portable instant presentation system.  Now, with all the
accessories, the price starts to creep up toward that of a netbook or
tablet.  But, the possibilities are fascinating.  And, within the
constraints of memory and cpu and storage, you can use standard apt-get
commands to install most Debian packages.

Sincerely,

Ron