[ale] [OT] Passing along a good deal on SD/Micro SD cards

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Apr 27 10:51:23 EDT 2012

Hi all,

These could be good deals.  Thanks for the link.  However, when I taught
for a while at Lanier Tech, I would always tell the students not to
trust a memory stick or card with their only copy of something.  They
are known to spontaneously fail sometimes and take your data with them.
I've had incidence of that in my own experience.  I have a personal rule
never to buy the cheapest of anything, particularly if it's under stress
or if my purpose for it is critical.  I sometimes break the rule, but it
usually serves me well.  I don't know about this particular brand of
card, but I usually like to look for ones with a 5 year warranty, which
can be hard to find.  Some of the cheaper memory cards use a different
memory cell technology which has lower longevity.  These could certainly
be useful, if you take the risks into account.

I had a GPS (with 2 GB memory) once start freaking out and acting
strange after not being used for a few weeks.  I had to reflash it 3
times, and, of course, reset all the settings, and now it's working fine
again.  Of course, I lost all my waypoints, etc.  Has anyone else had
something like that happen with a flash memory device?

Sincerely,

Ron

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier

770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com