[ale] Sync apache module

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Apr 23 21:22:03 EDT 2012

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:05:12 -0500
Erik Mathis <erik at mathists.com> wrote:

> It doesn't seem like it would be all that hard of a thing to manage
> with some scripting. What about openvpn and using ccd to lock down the
> clients to a specific IP and then create FW rules for each IP. openvpn
> would be my planC as password-less autossh is very easy to get running
> (with reverse tunnel goodness). Pretty much any solution you go with
> is gonna fall into the "1000 foobars would be a nightmare to manage"

I'm using VPNs now.  The device makes a VPN connection back to the
server and I use that tunnel to communicate with the bits of software.
This works well, but it means the site has to allow that port open for
outbound.  I'm trying to consolidate it so that one port (80 or 443)
will carry both sync traffic and web (async) traffic.  I've found
Anyterm and it has an Apache module.  I've not done much more digging
to see how that module works.  It could be async that happens fast
enough that the user does not notice.  That would cause performance
issues.  Especially if I try an run a VPN over it.