[ale] Sabayon

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Sat Apr 21 10:22:32 EDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 13:25 -0400, Scott Denlinger wrote:
> I agree with you about Debian, but do you have a particular NEED to run Sid on
> your desktop? Surely you know that's Debian's unstable version? Why not try
> testing? I'm running that, and it effectively is as reliable as the "stable"
> distribution, and gets you more up to date software than the stable
> distribution.
>
> Scott Denlinger

Scott,

Yes, I do know that.  I run Sid because that is what the Ubers do. At
least that is what I thought in 2000.  Sure it breaks, but it also gets
fixed quicker then testing.  Nobody cares if testing breaks ;)

My interest in Sabayon is this:  The Ports package system rocks, and it
rocks, and it also rocks.  Though, it IS nice, if you go to Sourceforge
and find a cool project, they almost always have two packages, source gz
and .deb.

I do not want Ubuntu.  I hate Unity. While it (Ubuntu) works (mostly)
you are out of luck if something you want does not work because the
project decided to take an unsupported tweak or non-upstream adopted
"fix".  No such issue with Debian.  And if you run Sid, you are always
head of Ubuntu.

I guess after 12 years, you can just get that itch where you forget
about the one who brought you to the dance.

Perhaps Linux users are not meant to be single distro users.  I mean it
might not even be natural?

I considered FreeBSD, but I think they suck as a desktop (because of the
lack of current drivers for desktop things).  OpenSolaris, Ilumos and
family look real, real interesting, but I think not as a desktop, but as
a testbed (can anybody say ZFS, that is where all that development is
happing at, and it is NOT being put back into solaris, as well as some
really cool cloud things in a few opensolaris distros)

Anyway, just a few things I have been pondering.