[ale] Question on RH

John Knight john at classiccitytelco.com
Fri Apr 20 14:33:24 EDT 2012

Hi Scott,

It's indeed an interesting question.  The answer is quite useful in
knowing the value of RHEL in a commercial setting.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux is created by period forks of the Fedora Linux
project.  Fedora is the community project funded by Red Hat that
contains the newest packages and is tested across a wide audience.  Many
bugs are present when packages are updated across the board and Fedora
is rebuilt by Koji (their build system) to ensure that there are no big
breakages with the build process.  New technologies are quickly adapted
in this software channel.

Every 2-4 years, Fedora is forked into the new RHEL version.  RHEL 5 was
forked from Fedora Core 6 and RHEL6 was forked from rawhide somewhere
between Fedora 12 and Fedora 13.

It is said that you can tell the direction where the next RHEL is headed
by keeping an eye on the Fedora distribution. Indeed, by using Fedora
10/11/12/13 I was quite prepared to operate RHEL6 and how it differed
from RHEL5.

Once the fork for the creation of a RHEL release forms, there are
generally no new packages added to it (there are exceptions: recently
X.org 1.10 was updated in RHEL 6.2 and Firefox/Xulrunner/Thunderbird
were all updated to 10ESR from 3.6.x).  Instead, the packages stay at
the same version for the duration of that RHEL branch.  There are
updates but these are generally broken down into two categories:  1)
Security updates and 2) backports.

#1 is very important.  Anyone running Fedora after that versions EOL
will no that no future updates are released for that version leaving you
to run a release that has effectively been abandoned or update to the
new release (complete with new packages and usually a whole new set of
bugs to work around).

#2 is equally important as it allows Red Hat to support newer hardware
that was not available at the time of release of the original Fedora
that that RHEL version was based on.  Adding support for new processors
such as Sandy Bridge and porting new features generally only found in
newer kernels and other packages are provided in RHEL point releases.
Though the kernel release stays at 2.6.32, for instance, it is hardly
the vanilla upstream 2.6.32.  Instead it has many features backported
from a future kernel.

Hope that answers your question.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux  Wikipedia has
even more information.

<http://www.classiccitytelco.com>

*John Knight*

Classic City Telco LLC
*Email:* john at classiccitytelco.com | *Main:* (706) 995-0200
*Direct:* (706) 995-0201 | *Mobile:* (678) 308-0322