[ale] RH cert training recommendations?

Andrew Wade andrewiwade at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 10:17:35 EDT 2012

Rich,

One of the key elements for studying for and passing the RHCE is having a
good
test enviornment.  I reccomend the following:

You can do this with any virtualization technology (KVM, Xen, etc.), but I
used
VMWare Workstation

1)  Set up VMWare Workstation and install three guests (centos 6.x)

2)  Set up snapshot of the fresh install

3)  Set the VMs to be bridged off your current adapter (so they can get the
same
IP segement and interact with each other)

4)  Setup a Centos Server 6.x running in run level 5 to access your other
guest
VMs  (mimic your rhce test enviornment)

5)  SSH into the Guest VMs as if it was a real scenario (no XWindows)

Go through the exercises/labs and feel free to screw up since you can simply
restore from the last snapshot. When it comes to the
tcp wrappers and iptables stuff, you'll want to get creative and setup
another
routable subnet at home to attach some of your VMs to.
The easiest way for most people to do this is get a second wifi router and
plug
it into your primary wifi router.  Set it up
to be a NAT device that re-broadcasts a new subnet.  Then in VMWare attach
your
USB wifi to your guest VM and setup network on its
wlan0.  That way one guest VM will be in another subnet, but still be able
route its way to communicate with the other VMs on
the origianl subnet.

At this point you can sucessfully test tcp wrappers  ie /etc/hosts.deny
sshd :
192.168.1. : deny   (I think they syntax is right, I'd have to double
check).

This kind of setup will allow you to do most of the stuff needed (except
for replicating a NIS enviornment, but that's for another post!),