[ale] [OT] expect script question

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Thu Apr 5 20:13:01 EDT 2012

Hi.  I like expect.  Have you already checked out some online tutorials?

The example below shows a couple of features I like for the kind of thing
you're doing.  You'll need spawn, too.

ecashin at Ed-Cashins-MacBook-Pro tmps$ ~/tmp/exp-eg
username: hallandoats
hallandoats
ecashin at Ed-Cashins-MacBook-Pro tmps$ cat ~/tmp/exp-eg
#! /usr/bin/expect

send "username: "
expect -re "(.*)\n"
set user $expect_out(1,string)