[ale] KVM Management Utilities

Ted W ted at techmachine.net
Thu Apr 5 13:45:57 EDT 2012

On Apr 5, 2012, at 12:02 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Brandon Colbert <colbert.brandon at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:
>>
>>    On 03/23/2012 11:31 PM, Ted W wrote:
>>> With all this talk recently about oVirt, RHEV and OpenStack I thought it
>>> was a good time to re-visit my home virtual server. For the last 2 years
>>> or so I had been running CentOS 5 and using the included Xen hypervisor.
>>> To manage the VM's, on the rare occasion when direct intervention was
>>> required, I used the "xm" command line utility. For the rebuild I
>>> thought about trying my hand at OpenStack Compute and KVM on top of
>>> CentOS 6... that lasted all of about 2 days and I decided that, while
>>> OpenStack looks to have a very nice selection of utilities for managing
>>> VMs, it's very much overkill for what I need. This leads me to my
>>> question...
>>>
>>> I'm running < 6 vm's at any one time out of my server. What would be an
>>> equivalent tool to "xm" on KVM? When I'm at the console (rarely) I have
>>> no problem pulling up virt-manager but 95% of the time I'll be working
>>> with it via ssh and utterly refuse to enable XForwarding.
>>
>>    virsh?
>
>> virsh or virt-manger via ssh
>
> Alas, these require ssh access to the VM Host, which means that users
> need login accounts.  Do you know of something that provides web-based
> VM management, and more importantly a web-based console?
>
> -derek

OpenStack, which I was attempting to set up originally, has a web interface available (albeit from a third party if memory serves). You might also look in to oVirt, but I don't know if the project has matured to the point of a web interface or not as I only looked at it briefly.
--
Ted W. < Ted at Techmachine.net >
Registered GNU/Linux user #413569